Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Brain Pain

The learning curve took a sharp turn upward today. As I've been playing with the technology behind this blog, so far it's been challenging but do-able. Today I googled "link buttons" and happened eventually upon a site that promised HTML Goodies. One thing led to another and soon I found myself pressing forward through three-days-w0rth of a seven-day HTML primer. It was written in plain enough English, and I found myself actually understanding how it worked!

Funny how you believe certain things about yourself, and those beliefs limit who you become.

In high school I almost failed typing (without a correction ribbon my performace anxiety paralyzed me) and I thought I would never learn to type. But then came the backspace key, and now I can type more than 60 wpm.

Somewhere around that time I decided that computers were beyond me, too. But eventually I became quite proficient at MS Word, Publisher, etc. Wherever I wound up working, I usually found myself tutoring someone in the finer points of using these programs.

But I figured that anything beyond that was too much for me. And here I am today, daring to believe that I can stretch my mind again, outside my comfort zone, learning about HTML.

My brain hurts, yes, and it's time for some mindless surfing, but I'll be back tomorrow (or maybe later today) for day 4 of the tutorial.

A free and responsible search for truth and meaning extends to all areas of life, not just those usually described as religious or metaphysical.