Thursday, November 10, 2005

God and Shoes

Can you imagine trying to convince all the world's English-speakers that the word "shoe" does not mean "a durable covering for the human foot, made of leather or similar material with a rigid sole and heel, usually extending no higher than the ankle" (thank you, Dictionary.com).

Sure, there are other definitions for the word, but with most people, if you say the word "shoe," they immediately see a hiking boot, a spiked-heel, a sneaker, etc. Variations within the concept, but pretty much the same thing.

Here's my problem. Say the word "God," and despite all my theological training and my extended time in exile from Christianity, I still see some variation of the Old Man in the Sky. I suspect that this is true for most people, but I'm willing to hear otherwise. I do know that I'm an off-the-charts visual thinker, so the problem may be less severe for people without the mental movie playing constantly.

For me, the word "God" is hopelessly corrupted, as are all words related to it. And replacement language has not yet been invented. This is a very frustrating situation. Try being someone who likes to talk about faith and meaning--without using the word "theological."

From the little I know about the development of language, its pace is more turtle than hare. There are some words that still work for me: faith, belief, sacred, holy, mystery, etc. I piece them together, trying to describe this place I've come to where there is nothing that is not holy. And perhaps in doing so I help the turtle to keep moving forward.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great post. I especially think this is important: "For me, the word "God" is hopelessly corrupted, as are all words related to it. And replacement language has not yet been invented. This is a very frustrating situation. Try being someone who likes to talk about faith and meaning--without using the word theological."

I find myself in the situation. It creates hard but good work. At least you aren't satisfied with yesterday's definitions.